Shintaido is a system of natural body movement to integrate body, mind, and spirit, build healthy relations with others, and encourage spiritual growth. Shintaido of America (SoA) is a national network of regional and local Shintaido groups to support, encourage, and guide members in their Shintaido practice. SoA also offers advanced training for those who teach Shintaido.
The mission of SoA is to transmit the form and spirit of Shintaido in the United States.
- SoA encourages the growth of regional and local Shintaido groups.
- SoA works with the regional organizations to offer examinations, accreditation, advanced training, and peer contact for SoA members.
- SoA informs Shintaido instructors of new developments at the international and national levels, including changes in curriculum and examination requirements.
- SoA develops resources for teaching Shintaido, such as books and videos.
- SoA supports fledgling international groups and provides outreach instruction.
The members of the Board as of September 2017 are:
Nancy Billias, elected voting member
Connie Borden, elected voting member
David Franklin, elected voting member
Brad Larson, elected voting member
H. F. Ito, lifetime member
Michael Thompson, lifetime member
Henry Kaiser, honorary non-voting member
Kesh Narayanan, honorary non-voting member
Mario Uribe, honorary non-voting member
David Palmer, honorary non-voting member
The Officers of the Board as of September 2017 are:
NATIONAL TECHNICAL COUNCIL(current 10/2018)
Jim Sterling, General Instructor, Bojutsu Sandan, Karate Nidan, Kenjutsu Yondan
Connie Borden, General Instructor, Bojutsu Sandan, Karate Shodan, Kenjutsu Sandan
David Franklin, General Instructor, Bojutsu Nidan, Karate Sandan, Kenjutsu Sandan
Shin Aoki, Chairperson; Senior Instructor, Bojutsu Yondan, Karate Yondan, Kenjutsu Sandan
Lee Seaman, Senior Instructor, Bojutsu Nidan
Robert Gaston, Senior Instructor, Bojutsu Sandan, Karate Shodan, Kenjutsu Sandan
Bela Breslau, Senior Instructor, Bojutsu Nidan, Kenjutsu Sandan
Sandra Bengtsson, Senior Instructor, Bojutsu Shodan, Kenjutsu Sandan
Byron Russell, Instructor, Bojutsu Sandan, Karate Nidan, Kenjutsu Nidan
Chris Ikeda-Nash, Graduate, Karate Sandan, Kenjutsu Shodan
Mike Sheets, Senior Instructor, Bojutsu Shodan, Kenjustu Nidan